JOHN SCULLY FAMILY
John Scully immigrated from
Ireland and settled in Marrietta, Ohio in 1803, but because of
malaria there moved to Chartiers Township, Allegheny County,
Pennsylvania in about 1805. There he purchased 350 acres in
Chartiers Township from General Hand.
John and Mary Scully raised 15 children. His family remained there for several generations. His grandson, John Sullivan Scully II, became president of the Diamond National Bank and his great grandson, Cornelius D. Scully, served as mayor of Pittsburgh from 1938 to 1946.
John Scully served as Justice of
the Peace for over 30 years. He was a member of the Episcopal
Cornelius Scully owned seventy acres of the old Scully homestead, which was in a very high state of cultivation, including twenty acres in choice fruit. He has a fine collection of Indian relics found on the farm.
Mr. Scully served as school
director for over thirty years and is one of Chartiers Township's
most respected citizens. The first true school building in Ingram,
which was in use from 1890 to 1914, was named "Scully School", after
him, in appreciation for the donation of the all the stone for the
Henry Dennis Scully was born 09 November 1852, in Chartiers, Allegheny Co., Pennsylvania. He attended public schools including the old Wind Gap School and later attended the Western University of Pennsylvania. He never graduated from Western University but left to complete a course in bookkeeping at Duff's Business College.
His first employment was as a bookkeeper at Nathaniel Holmes' private bank. When the First National Bank was organized he became a clerk there, then was promoted to teller. After a period of time he resigned from the First National bank to enter the insurance field. In the insurance business he opened an office in the Citizen's Bank Building. Mr. Scully represented leading companies and became a respected member of the business community.
He held the thirty-second degree in the Masonic order, and was a member of St. Peter's Protestant Episcopal Church. He is remembered in the circles he left for the quality of straightforwardness, as an honorable business man and a loyal friend.
Henry Scully died 10 September 1919, Allegheny Co., Pennsylvania
THE DENIS SCULLY FAMILY
Denis Sullivan Scully was born 1782 in Ireland, and died 13 May 1853 in Allegheny Co., Pennsylvania. She was born in 1797, and died 1875.
Denis Scully settled in Pittsburgh and married Ann O'Hara, sister of General James O'Hara, in 1815. . She was born in 1797, and died 1875.
In 1816 Scully and O'Hara opened the Hermitage Furnace, an iron-works in Ligonier, which only remained open for one year. Despite this unsuccessful business venture, Denis Scully worked as a lawyer and continued working with James O'Hara. He helped to manage O'Hara's Pittsburgh glass-works in 1818 and, after the death of James O'Hara in 1819, served as executor to his will.
Denis and Ann O'Hara Scully had
six children: William O'Hara Scully, who died 10 February 1891 in
Allegheny Co., Pennsylvania. James O'Hara Scully, who was born 1816
and died 12 October 1859 in Allegheny Co., Pennsylvania. In 1851,
James O'Hara Scully married Margaret Jackson Townsend, a member of a
prominent Beaver County, Pennsylvania family. She was born 1828 and
died 12 May 1861 in Allegheny Co., Pennsylvania. John Desmond
Scully, Dennis and Ann's second son had a more successful experience
in the iron industry than his father. He worked as a partner with
James Wood and Company and Knapp, Scully and Company, two Pittsburgh
iron mills. John Desmond Scully died 09 January 1898. Also, Kate
Desmond Scully, Charles B. Scully, who died 07 April 1874, and.
Harmer Denny Scully.